Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Monday, January 17, 2022

Sunday 1-16 Tyler State Park

Tyler State Park welcome sign

We woke up to 24 degrees and a lite breeze. It was cold but not a bitter cold like yesterday. It got up to 54 degrees with a lot of sunshine.

After camping at Bonham State Park for three nights it was time for us to move on. Bonham was a beautiful park with great hiking trails except for the lack of signage. We hung around until about 9:45 and then headed to Tyler State Park, it was a 110 mile drive.

Tyler State Park is located 10 miles from Tyler, Texas. The park is in the Piney Woods Area of the state parks. We took two lane highways through a lot of small towns. We saw cattle, sheep, horses and ranches. It was a very nice drive. 

We arrived at Tyler State Park about noon and checked in at the gate. Once we were checked in we went to our camping area and found our site. The camping area is called Big Pine, all the sites are pull-throughs with full hookups, tents are not allowed. After setting the Minnie up we had lunch. This weekend is a three day weekend so the park is busy. 

After I did my Solitaire Event: Klondike Mini of 10 games. It took me 32 minutes and 42 seconds to complete, which put me in 22nd place in my group. Larry read.

Afterwards I hiked for about an hour. I did the Lakeshore Trail, which went around the lake for 2.1 miles. The trail starts just across the street from our site. The trail goes in both directions. I hiked it going to the right. It was very wide and busy with people. When I got on the other side the trail narrowed a little and weaved through the forest. It took me to the lighted Pier and Southside Day Area. The lighted pier was very nice. The trail followed the shoreline of the lake. I had to hike over tree roots, which made it a bit of a challenge. It went up and down small hills. There was a bridge and a boardwalk, that took me over the swampy area of the lake. I walked by tent camping areas. Once crossing the lake via the boardwalk I walked through the day use area. Next to the picnic area was the beach with a nice bathhouse. I walked through the beach area to the park store and boathouse, where you can rent paddle boats, kayaks and canoes. There were a few people on the lake. At the store I took the main road home. When I got back to our camping area I continued .1 mile to where the Loop B trailhead was. I had a great hike.

 

Tyler Lake from the trail

 

One of the sites in the tent area

 

Hiking in the trees

The boardwalk


Canoeing on Tyler Lake

 

Kids playing in the playground at the day area

Later I hiked the Lakeshore Trail going the other way. I met a grandma and her two granddaughters. We talked about the park. Three guys came by while we were talking and I walked with them back to the camping area. They were out of the Dallas area. I had another fun hike.

When I got home it was time for dinner. We had tostadas. After dinner I walked around the loop for a half hour. I rested a bit. Then I went outside and finished my steps. I ended up doing 28,500, which put me in 6th place in my group with 176,284 for the week        

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth