Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Monday 1-10 On the Road Again -Tawakoni State Park

Having fun

I got up early, 7:30. We had oatmeal for breakfast and then finished getting the Minnie ready for another camping trip. By 9:00 we were on the road.

Where are we going? Texas has 54 state parks and they are divided in 7 regions: Panhandle & Plains, South Plains, Prairies & Lakes, Piney Woods, Gulf Coast, Hill Country and Big Bend Country. We're going to be hanging around in the Prairies & Lakes, which are located close to Dallas/Fort Worth. 

Our first park is Lake Tawakoni State Park, it is near Wills Point, Texas. It is 172 miles from our house. It took us four and a half hours to get there. We drove mostly two lane highways but we did drive a short distance on two interstates. We saw a lot of ranches with horses, cattle and goats. I slept part of the way. We pulled into a Walmart parking lot in Cosicana and had lunch. We arrived at Lake Tawakoni and checked in at the gate. This is the first time we have been here so it's exciting. The lady at the gate was friendly and nice. We got a map of the park and hiking trails. 

There are two camping loops, White Deer Reach and Spring Point. We're staying in the White Deer Reach which has electric and water. Spring Point Camping Loop has full hook up sites. We found our site with no problem, it's close to the bathroom. The bathrooms are individual bathrooms with a shower in each one. They are heated and very nice. 

After setting up the Minnie. I walked around for an hour to get some steps in and check out where the trailheads are. The White Deer Nature Trail .5 mile is in our loop. I walked the trail, it was very easy and went through trees, along the way I saw a couple of deer. It is well used and nice to walk. From there I walked the road to the pond and then to the day area. The day area has picnic tables along the banks of Lake Tawakoni, amphitheater, boat ramp, boat parking and a beach. There were two trailheads here. The first one was behind the amphitheater. I walked the Farkleberry Nature Trail, which .5 miles. It weaved through trees. I walked it until it met up with three trails. They were Osage Orange, Red Oak and Blackjack. When I got there I turned around and went back to the amphitheater. Then I walked to the boat ramp. It was very nice. While walking around I met a gentleman and his two dogs. Next I walked to the other trailhead. Then I went back to the Minnie. When I got to the Spring Point Camping Loop I walked over the bridge to get back to White Deer Reach Loop.

 

Amphitheater

 

Lake Tawakoni

Boat ramp and dock

 

Bridge to the day area

 

Pair o Tree pond

After I got back Larry and I went on another hour long walk. We walked to the day area via the bridge. We walked around the boating area to the trailhead. We hiked the Nature Trail .5 mile, where it met up with Spring Point Trail ( .4 mile). Then we hiked this trail. We walked along the lake and through trees. When we got to the Spring Point East Trail (.4 mile) and walked it. We exited the trails at Spring Point Camping Loop. We walked around the loop and took the bridge back to the Minnie.

When we got home I barbecued hamburgers for dinner. After dinner I walked around for a half hour. When I got home I did the Solitaire and Mahjong Daily Challenges and Event: Free Cell Adventure of 20 games. It took me 2 hours, 56 minutes and 30 seconds, which put me in 7th place in my group. Then I finished doing 27,500 steps. This put me in 4th place in my group.         

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth