Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Friday, December 10, 2021

Thursday 12-9 Frio Canyon Trail & Walking

Sunset at Garner State Park

We had a hot humid day. It got into the mid to high 70s.

We started the day out by having pancakes for breakfast. We had hoped to hike some of the trails but during our nine mile hike the other day one of Larry's toes became sore and has not yet healed. He is able to walk while wearing tennis shoes so we walked down to the CCC Dance Hall and around the Oakmont Camping Area, these sites are right on the Frio River and have a lot of trees. There are giant cypress trees growing along the bank and in the river. As we walked we said hi to a family who were walking their dog. We walked about two miles, it was wonderful.

 

Cypress trees on the banks of the Frio River

When we got back I played my games and Larry read. I played the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong and the Event: Two Game Tango of 20 games (10 Spider and 10 Pyramid). It took me 2 hours, 14 minutes and 52 seconds, which put me in 10th place in my group. I did some Sudoku games.

After lunch I went on an hour hike for 3.25 miles, which was the Frio Canyon Trail. The trail was flat and very easy. The only problem was it was out in the open and it was hot. At the beginning of the hike I got off the trail and walked to the river. It was down a short hill. After taking pictures I was back on the trail. When I got halfway through the hike I walked through the Persimmon Hill Camping Area. It was small and closed for the season. It was beautiful with a lot of trees on the sites. After walking around I was back on the trail. I saw a gentleman resting on a trail sign and said hi. I walked through a couple of small patches of trees and down the power line road. I crossed the park road a few times. I was almost finished with the hike when I came across the bird watching blind, it was very nice but I didn't see any birds. The trail started at the shelters and finished by the restrooms. By the time I got back I was hot and tired. I had a nice hike.

 

A family enjoying the Frio River

A meadow I hiked by

 

One of the campsite at Persimmon Camping Area

 

The bird viewing blind

 

Some of the feeders at the blind

After I finished my games I walked around for an hour. Larry barbecued burgers for dinner. After dinner I walked around another half hour to get my steps in. I ended up doing 28,000 steps, which put me in 4th place in my group. I hope Larry's toe feels better so he can hike.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth