Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Tuesday 12-14 More Hiking & Overcast Day

 

Overcast Day

We woke up with a cloud cover, no sun. The clouds didn't go away until late afternoon. It was humid but there was a breeze. We were thankful for that because we went on a hike.

After breakfast we went on a 6.5 mile hike. We started the hike like yesterday by taking the service road to Mid-Canyon Trail, which was about a mile. We took the Mid-Canyon Trail Through the Primitive Camping Area, which was for 1.5 miles to Buck's Shortcut (.5 mile). Then we hiked Frontera Trail for .5 mile to Walter's Way (.6 mile). We took Walter's Way back to Mid-Canyon Trail. Then we took the same route back to the camping area. During the hike we saw a few deer in the trees. We gradually climbed up a hill when we hiked Walter's Way and climbed down a hill on Buck's Shortcut. Today the climbs weren't as steep or high. We hiked through some trees and saw cactus, trees and scrub brush. The weather was warmer today so we didn't wear gloves or a jacket. It was humid so we were happy when we got a breeze. We had to watch where we were hiking because the trails had loose rocks but the terrain was flatter. We stopped multiple times to look at the scenery. We had a great hike. We only saw one couple starting their hike when we were almost at the service road at the end of the hike.

A view of the area from the hiking trails

 

Part of the trail we hiked

During the afternoon I played my games and Larry read. I did the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong and the Event: World Tour Mini of 10 games. It took me 49 minutes and 36 seconds, which put me in 20th place in my group.

At 1:00 I went on an hour and half walk/hike through the other half of the Turkey Roosting Area. I hiked about 4.5 miles. I hiked the Interpretive Trail (.4 mile). Then I hiked the West Field Trail (1 mile). As I was walking through West Field towards the river I saw 5 deer. I walked the Turkey Roost Trail (1.5 miles), this trail goes a long the park road to the South Llano River and back to the Park Headquarters. I walked through the day area by the river, the river was flowing a lot more here. Then I got back on the Turkey Roost Trail and walked back to West Field Trail, where I saw a hog in the field. I scared it and it ran through the field. Where the Turkey Roost Trail met up with West Trail I turned on to West Trail. About .14 mile on the trail I saw an old barn and Lora's Bird Blind. After taking pictures I continued on my hike. I hiked a service road back to the Park Headquarters. Then I hiked back to the camping area. I had a super hike.

 

Deer in the West Field

 

South Llano River

 

Hog in the West Field


The old barn

 

Lora's Blind

The rest of the afternoon I did Sudoku games and Larry read. We both went over and took a shower. 

After dinner I walked around the camping area for a half hour. I had already made my goal in steps but I wanted to walk around a bit. As I walked I saw a owl and said good-bye to the lady I helped the other day. I ended up doing 30,500 steps, which put me in 3rd place in my group.

We had a super day of hiking, walking, reading and relaxing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth