Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Monday 12-13 Hiking Trails & Turkey Roosting Area


Get a buddy or two and go hiking

We woke up to a very cool morning, 33 degrees but there was no wind. Not a cloud in the sky. It got up to 73. Perfect weather for hiking.

We had cinnamon french toast sticks for breakfast. Then we went for a 7 mile hike. We started at the parking lot by the walk-in sites. We took the Service Road to the Access Trail (.2 mile) to Mid-Canyon Trail for .14 mile. Then we did the West Canyon Loop Trail (2.4 miles) and then back on Mid-Canyon Trail for .14 mile back to the East Ridge Trail for (.89 mile) to Fawn Trail (1.25 miles). Then we were back at the parking lot. We had to hike up a steep hill at the beginning of the hike at the Access Trail and part of the West Canyon Trail for about a mile. Then it flattened out until we got to the Fawn Trail. This trail was very steep going down hill and we had to be careful of the loose rocks. The steep sections were very challenging. At the beginning of the hike we saw a doe and a fawn and we saw a few more as we hiked. A lot of the hike was in the open, there was a lot of junipers, cactus and other scrub brush. The shaded areas were welcome during the hike. Occasionally there was a bench and we took advantage of them to rest. The trails lead us through some dry creek beds and through trees now and then. We started the hike out with gloves and a jacket but had them off midway into the hike. We had a great hike and the trails were very nice.

 

 

The easy part of a trail 

Deer in the parking lot

By the time we got home it was lunchtime. After lunch I did the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong and the Event: East Street of 30 games. It took me 1 hour, 11 minutes and 58 seconds, which put me in 23rd place in my group. Larry read.

At 1:15 I decided to go on a hike through the Turkey Roost Area. I had an hour and 45 minutes to do this before it closed for the day. I hiked for an hour for 3.25 miles.  I started at the Acorn Blind (.16 mile) to the River Trail. I hiked the River Trail to the parking lot to Buck Lake, which was about .5 mile. Then I hiked the Buck Lake Trail to the park boundary fence for about .3 miles. I hiked the fence line all the way back to the camping area. As I was walking the fence line I saw six donkeys grazing in a fenced field. I didn't see any turkeys but there were plenty of trees for them to roost on. The trees didn't have any leaves on them so it wasn't shady. the South Llano River was very low. The last time we were here it was almost out of its banks and people were kayaking in the river. I had a great hike.

 

Buck Lake

 

South Llano River

 

Donkeys grazing in their field

 

Armadillo

While I hiked Larry continued reading. I rested a bit then I walked around the camping area for 40 minutes to finish up my steps. I was doing the first loop and saw a fox I was disappointed with myself because I had forgotten to bring my camera. I went back to the Minnie and got it. I thought maybe by chance the fox would still be around. A gentleman said the fox was hanging around the Acorn Blind area this morning. I went looking for the fox but it was nowhere to be found, but I did see a couple of armadillos. I had a nice walk.

We spent the evening relaxing in the Minnie. Larry read and I did some Sudoku games. I ended up doing 28,000 steps, which put me in 3rd place in my group.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth