Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Monday, December 13, 2021

Sunday 12-12 Good-bye Garner Hello South Llano River

Beautiful Day

We woke up to the temperatures in the 30s. Our little electric heater had a hard time keeping up. It did get up in the low 60s with a lot of sunshine.

We hung around Garner State Park until after lunch 11:30. We had 78 miles to go and check out wasn't until noon. I played my games. The Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong and the Event: Two Game Tango Mini of 6 games (3 Pyramid and 3 Tri Peaks). It took me 8 minutes and 45 seconds, which put me in 6th place in my group. While I played my games Larry read.

Our next destination was South Llano River State Park near Junction, Texas. The roads we took were two lane highways and Interstate 10 for a short distance. We stopped in Junction and filled the Minnie with gas, this was 7 miles from the park. The drive was very nice and relaxing for me because I wasn't driving. I kept awake. We have been here a couple of times before but not for many years. 

South Llano River State Park is known for the Rio Grande Turkeys Roost between Oct. 1 to April 1. There can be up to 800 roosting in the protected area. The area is open to the public from 10:00 to 3:00 and visitors are asked to stay away from the area because they can scare the turkeys away. Visitors can see the turkeys walking through the camping area. 

 

South Llano River State Park welcome sign

When we arrived we were greeted by an armadillo at the office. Larry went inside and checked in and got a couple of maps. Then we were greeted by another armadillo at our site. Neither one of them were scared of us. After setting up the Minnie for a few days we relaxed for a bit. About 2:00 I walked around the camping area for an hour and a half. I helped a lady back her trailer into her site. She was having trouble and people were waiting. After she was settled in the site she thanked me. I made a baked potato for dinner. Then after dinner I went on another walk for an hour. During this walk I walked to the Acorn Bird Blind and Juniper Bird Blind. Before going to the Juniper Bird Blind I walked through the walk-in tent sites. It wasn't that big, it had 6 sites but it was very nice. There is a small nature trail, that leads you to the Juniper Bird Blind. While at the Juniper Blind I saw a cardinal. They were both nice bird blinds.  


The armadillo at our site

 

Acorn bird watching area

Acorn Bird Blind

 

Juniper viewing area

 

Juniper Bird Blind

Camping at a walk-in site

While I walked around Larry read. I ended up doing 26,000 steps, which put me in 3rd place in my group with a total of 192,140 for the week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth