Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Saturday 12-11 Hiking to Crystal and White Rock Caves

Awesome Day

We woke up to 50 degrees with a brisk wind out of the north. A cold front blew in early in the morning and lasted all day. The high a 5:00 was 57 degrees. The temperature was perfect for hiking.

After breakfast we went on a 2 hours and 45 minute hike for 4.5 miles. We started the hike on the Wild Horse Trail (.5 miles) until it met with the Foshee Trail, this section wasn't listed on the trail map but we hiked it for a mile. The Foshee trail took us gradually up hill but it was steep and challenging. As we hiked the trail we saw a big beautiful shady oak tree. We continued until we met up to the Bridges Trail (.7 mile), we hiked it for .18 mile until we got to Crystal Cave Trail (.6 mile), it was a steep challenging trail. Larry climbed into the cave while I stayed out, it was about 30 feet deep but he just looked in and took pictures. After exiting the cave we found a rock to rest on before climbing the trail back to bridges. From Bridges Trail we hiked to Bird Trail (.15 mile). This trail was very challenging and steep. We had to climb over and in between boulders going down hill. Before getting on bird trail we waited for a group of six with a dog to climb up the trail. They were struggling and they didn't have any hiking poles. This was the hardest trail we have hiked so far this trip. The Bird Trail took us to White Rock Cave. It wasn't much of a cave but it was ok. By climbing all the way in I was able to stand up. From here we took the White Rock Cave Trail (.3 mile) to Pecan Grove Camping Area. The trail was only .3 mile but it was steep and very challenging. We climbed over boulders and hiked on steep slabs of rock. Once at the camping area we headed back to our camping area. Pecan Grove was very busy with people. The store was open and well used. From the store we took a short walkway to the CCC Dance Hall where I stopped and said goodbye to some neighbors I had met while walking around. The candy store and the gift shop were open. We saw a lot of people hiking the trails today. By the time we got home we were tired but we had a great hike.

 

Standing inside of White Rock Cave

The hill country from the trails

 

Standing by the shadow oak

 

Standing at the entrance of Crystal Cave

 

Crystal Cave

 

Pecan Grove Camping Area from the trail

By the time we got home it was time for lunch. We had a baked potato. After lunch I played my games. I did the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong and the Event: Two Game Tango Mini of 10 games (5 Free Cell and 5 Pyramid). It took me 56 minutes and 49 seconds, which put me in 17th place in my group. Larry read another book.

After resting I went on an hour and 20 minutes walk. I ended up hiking the Frio Canyon Trail (3 miles). It was nicer today because the temperatures were cooler. After walking the trail I walked around the camping area. When I got back I rested for about an hour and then Larry decided to walk with me for an hour. We hiked part of the Frio Canyon Trail, we started the hike going the opposite direction that I hiked it. We hiked a mile and came across the Nature Trail, which I never saw the two times I hiked this trail. Larry has a good eye for this stuff. The trail was beautiful and went through trees. As we hiked it there were signs identifying the trees and plants. Where we entered the trail there wasn't a sign but at the park entrance there was a beautiful trail sign. When we finished the nature trail we went back on the Frio Canyon Trail and hiked the part we already hiked back to the camping area. We had a great walk.

When we got back I barbecued hamburgers for dinner. I didn't have to walk around the camping area because I already had completed my 28,500 steps. This put me in 3rd place in my group. 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth