Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Sunday 12-5 On the Road To Lost Maples

 

Let's go camping

We started the day out by finishing getting the Minnie ready. We were on the road to Lost Maple State Park about 9:00am. It’s a bit over 200 miles. We mostly drove two lane highways but occasionally a four lane highway would appear. We headed west to Lampasas and from there went south through Burnet and Marble Falls before turning back west at Johnson City. From there south to Fredericksburg and Bandera before finally finding our way to Lost Maples State Park. As we were driving through the hill country we saw a lot of signs about vineyards, cellars and wineries. We’re not wine drinkers but if we were Johnson City to Fredericksburg would be the place to be, there must have been more that 30 wineries between them. During the drive we saw a lot of very nice ranches with cattle, horses and goats. One had a herd of bison. We stopped in Marble Falls and had lunch. Larry had to fight the wind and rain. It didn’t rain hard but enough to dirty the Minnie.

We arrived at Lost Maples around 3:00. We were glad we started a little earlier than we planned. Larry stopped at the office to pick up a trail map. He didn’t have to check in because he already checked in online. 

This was our first time camping at Lost Maples. Years ago we had tried to get reservations multiple times but it was always full. It’s known for the maple trees, especially in the fall when they turn colors. We visited the park years ago and walked part of the Lost Maple hiking trail.


Lost Maples welcome sign

After setting the Minnie up I walked around the campground and to the trailhead. I walked about an hour for 2.8 miles. I started by walking around the campground. Then I went to main road. When I got to the stop sign I turned to the left and ended up going to the entrance. Oops, wrong way. Good thing it was only a half mile. I turned around and walked the other way. I walked to the day area where the hiking trails are located. There are two trailheads, I went to the Lost Maples one. Then I turned around and went back to the campground. As I walked I waved and said hi to people. I clocked how far the trailhead is from the campground, it was about .7 of a mile. That’s not too far.

 

Camping at Lost Maples


The host site decorated for Christmas

By the time I got back it was time for dinner. We had baked ziti. After dinner I walked around the campground for a half hour to get some of my steps. I ended up doing 26,000 steps for the day. I don’t know what place I came in for the week because we have no internet. While I did my walks Larry read. I did some Sudoku games. If you need to get to the internet you have to go to the office and use their WIFI, there is no cell service in the park.

We had a long day of driving but it was fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth