Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Friday 12-10 Hiking at Garner State Park

Hot Humid Day

We woke up to another humid day with the temperature 67 degrees. There was a cloud covering which made it very humid. By lunchtime the clouds rolled out and the sun came out and the humidity dropped. The high today was in the high 70s.

I made mini waffles for breakfast and then we went on a hike. We hiked for 2 hours and a total of 5 miles. We started at the trailhead in our camping area. The trail we hiked was Wild Horse Creek, which was moderate terrain trail for .5 miles to the Old Entrance Road Trail and the Ashe Juniper Trail. It was decision time, Ashe Juniper Trail won. This trail was 2.5 miles, we hiked it to where it separated into loops. We were going the hike the loop but it was too humid so we headed back. When we got to where it Y'd off for Wild Horse Creek and Old Entrance Road, we decided to take the Old Entrance Road, it was .5 mile. It brought us to the main road where we picked up the trail back to the camping area. During the hike we gradually climbed uphill and saw a lot of juniper trees. The trail was rocky but nothing like Lost Maples trails. It was a nice hike. By the time we got back to the Minnie we were soaked from all the sweating.

 

A view of our camping area from the trail

 

A tree with fall colors on the Old Entrance Road trail

 

Larry reading the trail map before we got hiking

While cooling off I played my games. I did the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong and the Event: Tri Peaks Mini of 5 games. It took me 11 minutes and 10 seconds, which put me in 10th place in my group. Larry read.

After lunch Larry went over to take a shower. When he got back I went on an hour and a half walk. I walked to the CCC Dance Hall. Then I walked around Oakmont Camping Area and Pecan Grove Camping Area. While I walked around I talked to a couple of people. One gentleman asked what were the best trails for kids to use for bicycling. I told him to keep to the paved roads. Both Oakmont and Pecan Grove are big and were starting to get busy because of the weekend. The park stores at the Dance Hall and Pecan Grove were open. Pecan Grove store had a sign on what you can buy; camping stuff, snacks, ice cream, food from the grill, water shoes and more. I didn't go in. As I was walking by the river I saw families enjoying swimming, tubing, kayaking and wading. Where the river went over a small wall I saw a couple of dogs swimming. One was a lab and she had more energy, she would have swam across the river if dad didn't call her back. The store that rented paddle boats, kayaks and other stuff was open. As I walked around the Dance Hall I said hi to a lady and her dog. It looked like the store, candy store, grill and ice cream store were open but I didn't go in any of them. I had a pleasant walk.

 

Kayaking down the Frio River at the Dance Hall

 

Screened in shelters at Pecan Grove camping area

 

The Frio River going over the rock wall

 

Enjoying a swim in the Frio River

 

The candy store 

When I got back I went over and took a shower. I spent the rest of the day relaxing in the Minnie. 

I barbecued hamburgers for dinner. After dinner I walked around the camping area to finish my steps, which was 27,500. This put me in 4th place in my group.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth