Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Monday, February 28, 2022

Sunday 2-27 Going Camping

Hi everyone

The rain is gone and the sun is out. It's suppose to be very nice for a bit. It's going to be cold in the morning but get into the high 50s and 60s. So we decided to go camping.

Where are we? How long is the camping trip? We have been wanting to go to Huntsville State Park but we didn't want to drive 150 miles for just a day or two. Yesterday Larry made reservations for four nights at Huntsville State Park. Weekends are out because there are no sites available at most of the state parks. We also need to be back on Friday for an appointment.

This morning after breakfast we went to the storage center and picked up the Minnie. When we got home I loaded the Minnie up. It took an hour because I only had to load up food and a few items. While I loaded up the Minnie Larry did a couple of maintenance items on the Minnie and got the electronic items ready to go. 

Afterwards I vacuumed the house and made lunch. Then I did the little bit of dishes. We were on the road at 11:45. We had to stop and fill the Minnie up with gas. The drive was two lane highways and a few miles on one interstate. We saw ranches with cattle and beautiful pine trees. I slept on and off most of the way to the park.

 We arrived at Huntsville State Park at 3:00 and checked in. The lady who checked us in was very friendly and smiled all the time. Larry didn't have to ask for the hiking trails map or camping areas. She handed all the park information to him. Super customer service.

We have been here years ago, the last time was in December 2008. Huntsville State Park is close to Houston and in the Piney Woods, it was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). It is a beautiful park with many miles of hiking trails, a CCC Group Hall, 210-acre Lake Raven and camping areas. We're staying in Raven Hill Camping Area. Our site has electric, water, fire ring, grill, picnic table and a hook to hang your garbage bags or lantern. It has a lot of pine trees. Across from our site is the bathroom and playground. The site isn't level so Larry had to get out the blocks.

Camping at Huntsville State Park

After setting up the Minnie we went for a half hour walk to find the trailhead. It was a pleasant walk. We walked around the tent area, by Lake Raven, around our loop and part of a trail.

When we got back I made pork sausage empanadas. After dinner I walked around to get some of my steps. I walked around for an hour and half. By the end of the night I had 20,500 steps. I didn't get my daily goal but I did 186, 378 steps for the week. This put me in 3rd place in my group. My weekly challenge is 175,000 steps.

A tent site

 

Fishing on Lake Raven

 

A tent site on the shore of Lake Raven

After my walk I baked cookies for our dessert. Then I played my computer games. Before going to bed last night I did the Solitaire and Mahjong Daily Challenges. This evening I did the Event: World Tour Mini of 10 games. It took me 32 minutes and 24 seconds, which put me in 3rd place in my group. Then I read.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth