Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Monday, February 14, 2022

Sunday 2-13 Willis Creek Campground

We had a beautiful day. 

I got up earlier than usual, about 7:15. Larry was surprised. He hadn't finished doing his morning routine. On the weekends Larry usually has breakfast ready for me when I get up. I got up too early so I made breakfast. It was easy I heated up the oven and cooked cinnamon french toast sticks. It only takes four minutes on each side to bake them. They taste great.

After breakfast I finished getting the Minnie ready for our two day camping trip. It took only about fifteen minutes. We didn't leave until after lunch because we were only going about 40 miles away. 

After getting the Minnie ready I played my games. I did Solitaire and Mahjong Daily Challenges and the Event: World Tour Mini of 10 games. It took me 49 minutes and 12 seconds to complete, which put me in 23rd place in my group. Then I played some Sudoku games.

We were going to go to Huntsville State Park in Texas but we decided to go some place closer because the weather is suppose to be rainy Wednesday and Thursday. Due to the rain we are only going out for two nights. We thought about going to Lake Georgetown but we decided to try someplace we have not been to before. Since we have never camped at Willis Creek we decided to give it a try. 

Granger Lake is a U.S. Corps of Engineer lake with four parks, one is only tent camping. We have stayed at Wilson H. Fox so we decided to stay at Willis Creek. We like to stay at parks that have hiking trails and Willis Creek has equestrian trails. The campground is small and some of the sites overlook the lake. Each site has power and water. There are five equestrian sites with only water and one group site. The restrooms have running water and showers. Granger Lake is known for fishing.

We got to Willis Creek Park about 12:30 and our site was still occupied, checkout time isn't until 2:00 and check-in time is 3:00. The park host told us we could park at the boat ramp until the site become available. Our site was very level so we didn't have to put blocks out. After the Minnie was setup we went for an hour walk. The equestrian trails were located across the street. The equestrian camping area was very nice and had a nice size corral for your horses. There was no shade. The area is gated because there were cattle roaming the area. You had to open the gate and make sure it was closed. Then there was another gate to get to the trails. Before entering there a sign with the trails on it. The sign said you should take a picture because there were no trail map. We walked part of a trail to get a feel for the hiking. The trail wasn't in great shape because cattle had torn it up during the recent rains, they left deep hoof prints and there was a lot of droppings. The trails are manageable but we decided we won't hike them because of the cattle. We weren't sure how friendly they were. After walking about a mile of the trail we went back to the camping area. We have been to a lot of campgrounds with equestrian trails but this is the first one we have encountered that allowed cattle to be grazed on them.

After dinner we walked around the camping area for an hour. We walked to the end of the camping area to a meadow that had a few short trails made by people to get to the lake to fish. We walked a couple of them. We were a little disappointed because people had left their trash. I was going to pick some of it up but there was way too much. While walking by the lake we saw a flashlight hanging from a tree. We checked it out and then put it back in the tree. Then we walked to the boat ramp and the the day area. We thought it was going to have picnic tables and grills but it was actually a group area. It had a picnic shelter, horseshoe pit, volleyball net and restroom. After walking around we went back to the Minnie. 

 

The cove where people fish

Larry went inside and I walked back to the boat ramp to take pictures. While there I talked a gentleman, who had been fishing. Granger Lake is a nice lake but it has a lot of trees and logs floating in it. It looked like it was full. After taking pictures I went home.

Granger Lake


Group picnic shelter

By the end of the day I did 22,000 steps, which put me in 6th place in my group for the week. I didn't do my daily goal of 25,750 but I went over the weekly challenge of 175,000 steps. I ended up doing 186,500 steps. We had a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth