Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Wednesday 1-27 Camping at Meridian State Park

 

Camping at Meridian State Park

Today started out brisk with a temperature of 41, it got into the high 50s. The wind was out of the north which made it cold all day. At times the wind blew hard but it didn't stop us from having an awesome day.

About 8:30 am we headed out on a hike. We hiked two of the four trails: Bosque and Little Forest, by the end of the hike we had hiked two hours for a little over 4 miles. The Bosque Trail was 2.2 miles and challenging. It goes around Meridian Lake, through trees, up and down the countryside and over rocks. Along the trail we saw a lot of beautiful scenery and rock formations. At one point we used a cable to get us partly up a steep hill. We crossed over a creek via a wooden bridge. Occasionally we used steps made by the CCC. Partway into the hike we picked up the Little Forest Trail, which was a .8 mile nature trail. During the springtime you can enjoy wildflowers like bluebonnets, Indian paintbrush and firewheels. It was an easy trail because it was flat. After walking the short loop we were back on the Bosque trail. As we hiked the trail we saw Bee Ledge, where people had carved their names in the limestone. There was a beautiful view of the lake. When we got to the tent campground we took a break. From this campground you can get on the Bosque Trail going either way. When we got close to the dam we met up with three people and a couple of dogs. We said our hellos and continued onward. We cross the Meridian dam and got back to the CCC Refectory, which was built between 1933-1935 using limestone from the local area. It was handcrafted and is still being used. According to Wikipedia a Refectory is a dining hall. Then we walked back to the Minnie. We were tired but had an outstanding hike.

 

Carving your name at Bee Ledge


Crossing a wooden bridge


Cable to help get up the hill


Larry resting at a tent site


The CCC Refectory from the dam of Meridian Lake


A waterfall
 

We spent the afternoon relaxing. Larry read and I did my Daily Challenges and the Event: Two Game Tango of 20 games (10 Klondike and 10 Spider). It took me 4 hours, 9 minutes and 15 seconds, which put me in 18th place. Today any Solitaire game you completed your points are doubled.

About 3:30 we went on a 40 minute walk. Yesterday, when we hiked the Little Spring Trail Larry saw that there was a cutoff. He was wondering if it joined into the Bosque Trail. He was right. Now he knows, where to go tomorrow when we go hiking.

When we got home Larry barbecued sausage patties for dinner. After dinner I went on a walk for about 40 minutes. I walked the road to the day area and continued past it towards the tent campground. I saw the stone grill built by the CCC but I forgot my camera so I couldn't take a picture of it, maybe tomorrow. I had walked about a mile when I saw the campground but decided to go back to the Minnie. I climbed down some steps made from the limestone to get on the Bosque Trail, that took me back to the CCC Refectory. I continued walking the trail to the CCC bridge and across the park road. I walked the Bosque Trail and joined the Little Springs Trail to get back to the campground. It was a great walk.

Once back home I rested. Then I finished doing my 28,000 steps.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth