Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Thursday, April 27, 2023

Wednesday 4-26-23 Cumberland Gap National Park

 

Camping at Cumberland Gap National Park

After three days of marvelous camping and hiking we said good-bye to Cumberland Falls State Resort Park. 

Our next destination is Cumberland Gap National Park in Virginia and Tennessee. We are staying at the Wilderness Road Campground, which is located in Virginia.

We got up to a cool 47 degrees. I made a quick breakfast of English muffins with bacon on them. Then we got ready to go. I did the little dishes we had and put things away. Larry unplugged us and moved the Minnie forward to get the blocks. Once he put the blocks away we were ready to go. As we were leaving Larry decided to dump the tanks because no one was at the dump station. They really didn't need to be dumped. 

As we were pulling out of the campground the kitchen upper cabinet doors opened up and things fell out. Oops, I forgot to make sure things were secured. One nice thing about having a class C motor home versus a trailer is Larry can pull on the side of the road and I can walk back and put things back in place and make sure the doors are securely closed. Once again we were on the road.

We had to drive through Corbin, which was 20 miles down the road. There was a Walmart there so we stopped to pickup a few things. After I put everything away we were back on the road. Cumberland Gap was 50 miles from Corbin. 

The drive to Cumberland Gap National Park was mainly 4 lane highway. We started in Kentucky, drove a mile or two in Tennessee and ended up in Virginia.  We saw one deer as we were driving. We drove through a long tunnel, that took us to Tennessee. It was a cool tunnel and had a lot of lights in it.



Exiting the tunnel


Middle of the tunnel

 

Entrance to the tunnel

We were at the campground around 12:30. In order to stay at Wilderness Road Campground you have to make reservation. No one checks you in, you go directly to your site. We will probably be there for four nights, a day longer than we would normally stay but they are predicting rain.

It's a big campground with seven loops, A to G. B and C loops have power, G loop is for groups and the rest are without power. Larry picked our site in C loop right next to the bathroom. Our site wasn't level so Larry had back onto blocks that were three high. Then he plugged us in to power. The power boxes are located behind your vehicle. Our site also has a picnic table and fire ring but no grill. 

Once the Minnie was setup we had lunch, which was soup. Then we relaxed. Larry read and I played games. I did the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong. The event today was Event: Two Game Tango Mini of 10 games (5 Free Cell and 5 Pyramid). It took me 1 hour and 32 seconds to complete, which put me in 16th place in my group.

Before for dinner Larry and I walked around the campground to get familiar with it. We walked around for a half hour. We walked around all the loops. We had a great walk.

For dinner Larry barbecued sausages. After dinner I walked around for an hour and a half to get some steps. While I was walking I stopped and talked to a local, he was walking his dog in a wagon. We talked for a bit. I also said hi to a few camper. By the time I got home I had done 12,000 steps. I didn't get my 20,000 steps but that's ok.       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth