Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Friday 4-21-23 Moving On to Levi Jackson Wilderness Road Park

 

Camping at Levi Wilderness Road Park

We had four super days at Koomer Ridge Campground. Now it was time to move on. 

We woke up to another mild morning.

Last night Larry put the grill away. He bagged and put our chairs away and the solar panels. This made it easier today. We put things away and secured them inside the Minnie. I made sure all the drawers and doors were closed. Then I took the trash to the trash cans. Larry put the step up. When I got back we were ready to leave. We stopped by the recycling bins so I could get rid of our cans.

Before leaving the Red River Gorge area we drove the scenic loop, it was about 30 miles long. It was a beautiful narrow curvy two lane road through the forest. As we drove occasionally you saw the Red River and pretty rock formations. We drove through a very narrow one lane tunnel, the tunnel was marked as 12' tall and we are about 11' so not much spare room. This was not one of those nice concrete lined tunnels, nope, simply a tunnel cut through rough rock. Larry put the Minnie's lights on because the tunnel had no lights. The tunnel must have gone underneath a train track because while we were in it we heard and felt a train going overhead. We were lucky a car coming the other way stopped to let us through. It was cool going through it. The scenery was gorgeous. 

The road through the Red River Gorge

 

Tunnel Entrance

 

Exiting tunnel

After driving the scenic loop we headed back to London which was 60 miles away. The highway took us through some construction, Larry said it wasn't as stressful as the other day. Of course the other day the wind was blowing hard and moving the Minnie around, there was no wind today. We saw pretty ranches with horses and cattle. 

When we got to London we stopped at Walmart to grocery shop. After shopping and putting the groceries away we went to Levi Wilderness Road Park. It was only four miles away. The park used to be a state park but now it's a county park. 

Levi Wilderness Road Park is a huge park and a lot of locals hang out at it. The park has hiking trails, mini golf, sand volleyball court, basket ball courts, three bathhouses with showers, two of them have washer and dryers, campground store, dumpsters, three playgrounds, amphitheater, bird sanctuary, picnic shelter, pool and gazebo. The campground is huge with full hookups and electric and water. We took a site with electric and water. 

Larry had made a reservation for the weekend so check-in was easy.

The sites have a picnic table, fire ring and we have to share our electric box with our neighbor. The site wasn't level so we had to get our blocks out. The power box was on the wrong side and far away so we had to string our power cable under the Minnie and use an extension cord. Every few years we encounter something like this, we always figure that whoever designed the campground never owned a RV.  

After setting up the Minnie for the weekend we had lunch. Then we relaxed. Larry read and I played my games. I got all caught up with my Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong. I did today's event, which was Event: Tri Peaks Adventure of 20 games. It took me 1 hour, 12 minutes and 15 seconds to complete, which put me in 19th place in my group. 

For dinner we had leftover ziti. After dinner I walked around for two hours to get my steps. I walked the campground, which was a mile long. I did six laps. Then I rested. I ended up doing 27,000 steps, which put me in 3rd place in my group.

We had a super day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth