Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Monday, April 24, 2023

Sunday 4-23-23 KFC Museum & Pinball Museum of Cobin

 

Fun Day

We had a super day of having fun.

We spent two nights at Cumberland Wilderness Road Park and today we moved on. 

Our next destination was only 30 miles down the road so we weren't in any hurry to leave. We wanted to visit Corbin on the way. 

While we were hanging around the campground Larry read and I played games. I did the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong. Then I did the event, which was Event: Klondike Adventure of 20 games. It took me 1 hour, 13 minutes and 29 seconds to complete, which put me in 12th place in my group. 

About 10:30 we put things down and made sure everything was securely in place. Larry unplugged us and rolled up the extension cords. There was a steady flow of RVs dumping their tanks at the dump station. Larry had dumped our tanks on the way in so we didn't need to stop. While I went to the restroom Larry started the Minnie and moved it back so he could get it off the blocks. We couldn't reach the water at our site so Larry moved the Minnie to a site that we could get to. He filled the fresh water tank. Once the water tank was full and the hose was put away we were on the road again.

Corbin is only 11 miles away from Cumberland Wilderness Road Park. The first stop was at the KFC Museum & Cafe. Corbin is where Col. Harland Sanders lived and founded Kentucky Fried Chicken. There was plenty of parking. Harland Sanders originally had a gas station, from that he added a restaurant and hotel. In the parking lot there was a restored set of old gas pumps, air pump and three signs on the life of Col. Harland Sanders finding his way. One was his life from 1890 to 1931, one was 1935 to 1960 and the last one was 1964 to 1990. The museum was in the Sanders Cafe. It was a very interesting setup because the museum was built within the cafe. You eat at tables throughout the museum. We ate lunch at the cafe. As we walked around the museum we learned about Col. Sanders and KFC. it had a video with Col. Sanders making chicken and talking about the recipe. There was a display on the history of the bucket and how Col. Sanders designed his place. It had a display on the first kitchen, where the chicken was made. Col. Sanders had an interesting life, much of it with limited success. We had fun walking around looking at the displays.

 

The museum entrance sign

Col. Sanders famous suit

 

Display of the history of the bucket and other items

 

Enjoying a bench with Col. Sanders

 

Sharing a bucket of chicken with Col. Sanders

 

Model of the first KFC site 1940

First uniform worn at KFC

 

Sign to the cafe

 

Display on the history of Col. Sanders   

Part of the first kitchen for KFC

After walking around the museum we drove a mile down the road to the Pinball Museum of Corbin. It wasn't open yet so we walked around downtown Corbin. There was a nice park that told the history of Col. Sanders. It was located right across the street from the train depot. We walked around the train depot. Then we went back to the Minnie and relaxed until the pinball museum opened.

Train Depot

The Pinball Museum was smaller than Game Galaxy in Smyrna Tennessee but it was nicer. It had 56 pinball machines from 1969 to 2021 and a several arcade games. It cost $15.00 per person. The gentleman who worked there was very friendly and helpful. As we were leaving he said they were moving down the road a couple of blocks to a bigger place. The owner was going to add more machines he has in storage. He also kept busy cleaning the machines. We spent an hour and a half playing pinball. We played games we have such as Iron Man, Willy Wonka, The Addams Family and The Munsters. We played others we don't have such as Ghost Busters, Rush, Avengers, Toy Story 4, Elvira, three Star Wars (Mandalorian, Star Wars and Star Wars Episode I), Aerosmith and many more. Larry got the top score on Aerosmith. I got the high score for the day on Willy Wonka. I got high score one and became a Jedi Junior in Star Wars Episode I. Larry bought a pin and magnet as we were leaving. We had an outstanding time playing pinball. 

 

Aerosmith 

 

Toy Story 4

Avengers

 

Magnet from Pinball Museum of Corbin

 

The pin

After playing pinball we went on to Cumberland Falls State Resort Park. It was a beautiful 20 mile drive going to the park. The road was curvy and through the Daniel Boone National Forest. During our stay we're staying in Ridgeline Campground. We were surprised on how small the sites are. Our Minnie is 21' and it barely fits. The sites have a picnic table, fire ring, power (which you share with another camper) and water. We didn't have a reservation so we could only check-in for one night and we wanted three nights. The other two nights we had to go online. Larry did and was glad to get the same site. The site wasn't level and we had to block the front passenger side. We do have a beautiful site.

Camping at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park

After setting up the Minnie we relaxed for a little while. Then I made a salad for dinner.

After dinner I walked around for an hour and a half to get some steps. As I was walking I stopped and visited with a couple from Ohio. They told me where the trailhead was located. They said it was a beautiful trail to the falls. I had a very nice walk.

Office and store 

One of the cottages for rent

I went out to finish my steps and my Garmin quit. I think the battery died and we don't have an extra battery. We have batteries for my old one but not the new one. I guess I'll have to wait until I get a battery to track how many steps I do. That's ok. Before the battery quit I did complete my weekly challenge goal of 175,000 steps. I actually did 176,690 steps, which put me in 5th place in my group.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having great trip. We went to KFC museum years ago and it was closed the day we were there. Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corbin is a very nice small town. Without the tourism from Col. Sanders it would be even smaller 🤣 Thanks for the comment👍👍

      Delete

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth