Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Monday 4-17-23 Red River Gorge & Errands

 

Good-bye Mammoth Cave

We had four fabulous days at Mammoth Cave National Park now it's time to move on. Our next destination is Red River Gorge in Daniel Boone National Forest.

We woke up at our normal time. Larry was up by 6:00 and I crawled out of bed at 7:15. I got dressed and made toasted English muffins with bacon. Then we put things down and secure. I walked over to the recycle bins and recycled our cans and plastic bottles. I got rid of our trash at the dumpster because we weren't sure if we had trash service where we were going. Once this was done Larry unplugged the Minnie and we were on the road again.

Larry drove about 200 miles. It was a beautiful day but the wind was blowing hard and it was cold. Driving the Minnie in strong wind is challenging. The drive started on a four lane divided highway for 100 miles. Then it was two lane highways through small towns and by ranches. The ranches were beautiful and they had a lot of cattle. The two lane highway was curvy and tight at places and under construction. We crossed over a couple of huge creeks. About halfway down the road we changed to Eastern Time, where we sprung forward an hour.

While driving we stopped in London to do a couple of errands. The errands were done in the same parking lot. First stop was Tractor Supply to get propane. The gentleman was very friendly and knew what he was doing. Larry didn't have to go back in the store to pay he paid right at the propane pump. Next stop was Murphy to fill up the Minnie with gas. Larry had to go inside to pay because the pump wouldn't take credit cards. While Larry paid I visited with a young guy. The last stop was in Walmart parking lot to have lunch. We could have walked to a number of fast food restaurants but I decided to make sandwiches in the Minnie. This is so much more convenient.

We arrived at Koomer Ridge Campground around 2:30. We stopped at the entrance and picked up an envelope to pay for our site. The campground has two loops. Many of the sites are very small and not level, when I say very small they are even too small for our short rig, they could be used by tent campers. The senior pass works on single sites, they are $28.00 but cost us $14.00. Each loop had multiple open hole restrooms. They have one large restroom with running water and showers, the website said it was closed. We chose a site that was by the open hole restroom, trash boxes and water. The trailhead is right there also.

Entrance sign to the campground

Once we setup the Minnie Larry wrote out a check for three nights. Then we walked down to pay. We walked by the restroom with running water and found out it was open. We were happy about this. We walked around for 45 minutes. 

Restrooms with showers

When we got back we relaxed. I played Sudoku games and Larry read about the hiking trails.

For dinner I made sausage and baked beans. After dinner I walked around for an hour and half. When I got back I finished my 27,000 steps. I did my jazz routine, that helped get my steps. I ended up being in 8th place in my group. I guess I have been getting too many steps so they moved me to another group. But that's ok.      

The amphitheater 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth