Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Monday, February 3, 2020

Monday 2-3 What a Wonderful Day

New Mexico welcome sign

We woke up to a brisk morning in the mid 30s, by the time we got to the Ski Santa Fe Resort the temperature was in the low 20s with very little wind.

Before going to the mountains we had breakfast in Day's Inn breakfast area. We had waffles. They had a nice variety of things for breakfast.

After breakfast we loaded the skies, other ski equipment, a cooler and snacks in the car. The mountain road to Ski Santa Fe was a curvy road for fifteen miles. The road was very nice with very little snow and ice. At a couple of spots you had to be careful because during the day the snow melts and over night it freezes. The hardest thing we had to do was walk from the parking lot to the building. I'm out of shape and a little over weight so I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath. We bought two senior passes for $64.00 each. If you are 72 or older you can ski for free.

Larry went to put on his gloves only to discover I had put two left hand gloves in the bag, the rights were back at the motel. He removed the liner from one of the gloves and was able to use that so at least he could ski without having to buy a new pair.

I had a bit of a rough day. I put on my skies and started to go to the lift and promptly fell down. I hit the snow hard on my right side hip. Larry was already in line for the lift waiting for me. A young gentleman who worked there offered to help me up and asked if I was ok. I told him I was ok but I was going to sit there for a little while. I told Larry to go ahead and ski without me because my hip was hurting. He refused, so we went into the restaurant and waited about a half hour until my hip was feeling better.

I also have new ski boots and they are a lot different than my old ones. My old ones were rear entry and easy to get into and you only had to connect two straps. My new ones are difficult to put your feet in and they have four straps to connect. Each strap has an adjustment to tighten or loosen the strap to fit your feet and calves. The boots also have an adjustment at the heel that allows you to walk in them. Larry has had snow boots like this for years. We did a few runs and the boots felt great but when we took a lunch break I decided to tighten the boots. I must have tightened them too tight so my calves started to hurt. I think I will like the boots once I get used to them.

After lunch we were getting ready to go back on the slopes and one of Larry's boots fell apart. The entire toe of the boot simply broke off. The boots are over 20 years old and the plastic just got brittle. He went into the rental shop to rent a set of boots. They really didn't want to put the rental boots on his skies because his bindings are so old, they were concerned they would fall apart similar to the boots. The manager said they didn't want the liability of adjusting the bindings to fit the boots but they would tell Larry how to do it and loan him the tools. Larry said no problem but they ended up doing it for him.

We headed back out to ski, we decided to go to other side of the mountain to ski some trails that are a bit more difficult. We took one lift up the mountain and skied across the mountain to another lift that took us to a different peak. I was thankful that it was a long ride. I told Larry that this would be the last run for me because my legs were hurting. We took a blue trail down from the top to where it met up with other trails from the other lift. I went right instead of left and fell down again on my right hip. I laid there a bit and then took off my skies and walked to the trail Larry had taken. I met up with him at the restaurant where the lockers are. We called it a day.

The skiing was great and the trails were wide and not busy. I probably could have continued skiing but I didn't want to take a chance on really getting hurt. Beside it's only our first day of skiing. Hopefully I can ski tomorrow.


Ready to go skiing down the mountain

The surrounding mountains from the slopes

Picture of some of the runs at Ski Santa Fe

Beautiful scenery from the slopes

On the way back to the motel we stopped at Smith's and picked up a salad for dinner. I don't mind going out to dinner but once we're back to the motel we don't feel like leaving again. We spent the rest of the day relaxing in our room. I played my Daily Challenges and The Event: Two Game Tango, Klondike (10) and Spider (10). Larry read. After doing my challenges I read and did some of my steps.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth