Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Sunday, August 23, 2026

Saturday 8-22-26 Beautiful Day, Three States, Salida & Having Fun

Sunset at Texoma Park last night


We had a comfortable night of sleeping at Texoma Park in Dumas. There were a few times it was warm I just took off the sheet and put it back on a few minutes later. We slept under the air conditioner so it wasn't bad. It turned on once in awhile. 

I woke up at 5:45 am and Larry was already awake. We wanted to get an early start because it was suppose to be another hot day. We shared a bagel and a shake for our breakfast. After breakfast we put everything down and secure before continuing our adventure. The morning temperature in Dumas, TX was 72 degrees and the high temperature in Salida, CO was 89 degrees. We were on the road by 6:15 am.

Larry drove 375 miles, which made it a long day. We started in Dumas, TX at 6:15 am (Central Time) and ended in Salida, CO at 1:15 pm (Mountain Time). We gained an hour in New Mexico because of time zone change. 




Texas Welcome Sign





New Mexico Welcome Sign





Colorado Welcome Sign



We drove in three states. We started in Dumas, TX and drove 68 miles to Texiline, TX. We picked up New Mexico at the state line. We drove through New Mexico for 110 miles. We picked up Colorado 7 miles up a mountain pass from Raton, NM. We drove 197 miles to Salida, CO. The drive was on two different highways and one interstate. We drove U.S. Highway 87 (four lane divided highway) from Dumas, TX to Raton, NM. We picked up I25 in Raton, NM and drove the interstate to Pueblo, CO. Then at Pueblo, CO we picked up U.S. Highway 50 West (four lane divided highway) to Salida, CO.

The drive in Texas was farm and ranch lands. I considered it the plains. When we got to New Mexico the scenery was about the same. We saw a lot of Pronghorns, a couple of hawks, cattle and horses. The scenery changed in Colorado, we saw mountain ranges and the Arkansas River. 

The Minnie climbed a couple of mountain ranges. One was between Raton, NM to Trinidad, CO. The other one was between Pueblo, CO to Salida, CO. It was a beautiful drive through the mountain ranges especially the second one. As you drive through the mountain pass the Arkansas River ran along side the highway. We saw people fly fishing, rafting and fishing off the rafts, people kayaking and people wading in the river at the BLM campgrounds.




Canon City Welcome Sign





Driving the highway through the mountain range between Pueblo and Salida





Beautiful day driving through the mountains


We stopped a couple of times to fill the Minnie with gas (Clayton, NM and Pueblo, CO). We stopped in Canon, CO for lunch at the Love's. We had a sandwich and chips in the Minnie. Love's had a great parking lot for RVs and Trucks, the spots are numbered and there are a lot of them. Across the street Love's had an RV park with hook ups. It was very nice. 

We arrived in Salida about 1:15 and drove around to see if we could park at the park or visitor center. It was a little early to park at Walmart and it was warm. We didn't find a place to park so we went to Walmart. We setup the Minnie for the night. Then we went to Walmart to pick up a couple of things. We're not going to have power for awhile so we wanted an easy breakfast in the morning. 

For dinner I heated up the leftover skewers and tortillas. I walked the Monarch Trail for a mile when the rain came. I was glad I had the umbrella. While I was walking I got a text from Larry to saying you're going to get wet very soon. I ignored the text I thought someone else was texting. When I got home I told Larry I received his text but thought it was from someone else. He said no one else knew my cell phone number but him. I walked for 45 minutes and had done 2.25 miles. I ended up doing 6,500 steps.




Rainbow at the end of my walk





Canadian Geese relaxing in the field by the trail





Horses and cattle I saw during my walk




Yesterday, I forgot to mention I played the Daily Challenges of  Solitaire and Mahjong. I did the event, which was Event: Medium Mayhem of 27 games. I came in 19th place in my group. I played Angry Birds Friends and Angry Birds 2.

Today I played the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong. I did the event, which was Two Game Tango Mini of 10 games (5 Free Cell and 5 Pyramid). It took me 1 hour, 29 minutes and 41 seconds to complete, which put me in 17th place in my group. I played Angry Birds Friends and Angry Birds 2.

Larry read while I played games and walked. He started and finished a book yesterday and today he started another.



Just having fun





            




   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth