Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Tuesday 8-31 Beautiful Hiking Day

 

Having fun hiking

We had another awesome day. It started out in the 40s and got up into the 70s. 

We woke to a gorgeous view of the lake. I turned on the oven and baked crescent rolls for breakfast. 

After breakfast we went on a five mile hike using the old service road we discovered yesterday. We hiked a half mile to the gate and then hiked the trail for 2 miles. Being an old road the trail was wide and didn't have tree roots or big rocks but it did contain lots of smaller rocks. It was strenuous because it constantly went uphill, occasionally we had to stop to catch our breath and enjoy the scenery. We climbed almost 700 feet in elevation, we got up to 9885 feet in elevation. In the area where we saw the grouse yesterday we saw one today. It was walking around on the trail eating. When it heard us it walked into the trees and up the rock hill, we watched it for a bit because we didn't want to scare it away. We also saw some hoof prints that looked like elk. Eventually we hiked far enough we could hear some traffic noise off the highway. Larry has an app on his phone that shows the trail and where you are on it along with the elevation. We sat on a fallen tree to rest and discussed if we should turn around and go back. Using the app Larry could see we were about a half mile away from where the trail Y's off. We decided to continue on up. The Y was hard to see, Larry just happened to see it. We ended up walking to an old gate where we turned around to head back. It didn't take as long to get back because it was all downhill. The hike was a great cardio workout. We had a super hike.

A grouse hunting for breakfast

 

The trail going through the trees

 

Larry at the Y

 In the afternoon while Larry read I walked for 45 minutes around the campground.

I also did my Solitaire Event: Easy Street Mini of 5 games. It took me 12 minutes and 22 seconds, which put me in 29th place in my group. Then I caught up in my Daily Challenge and finished them all for the month. I did some of the Daily Challenges of Mahjong I didn't complete them all because clouds rolled in so the solar panel wasn't producing much power. The battery was staying at 12.5 volts but my games are not important compared to the electronic devices we use. It's suppose to rain tomorrow afternoon into Thursday morning. The solar panel is doing an excellent job.

After dinner we hiked around the lake, about 3 miles and took about an hour. While we hiked we saw people fishing on the lake and on the banks, a couple of Canadian Geese, ducks and a chipmunk. It was a pleasant hike. When we got back I took the garbage to the dumpsters. While I was gone a few deer came by our site.

 

Canadian Geese getting ready for a swim

 

A doe enjoying eating

 

Two young deer

A chipmunk on the trail

By the end of the day we had walked and hiked 11 miles. I did 29,000 steps total, which put me 2nd place in my group with 55,151 steps.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth