Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Monday 3-8-21 Hiking at Lake Somerville

 

Let's go for a hike

The weather forecast indicated the low would be in the 30's but when we got up it was actually in the low 50's. There was very lite breeze and the sun was shining. It got up to 72 degrees. At 3:00 the clouds rolled in and the humidity went up but the day was very pleasant.

After breakfast we went for a hike. We ended up hiking for over two hours, about 5.5 miles. We hiked the trails around the campground: Wilderness Run, Cardinal Bend, Bucktail Run, Beautyberry Trail, Bluestem Bend and Lake Trail. We started the hike by picking up lake trail to get to the rest of the trails. The first section was out in the open and no trees, we also took this section back to the campground. Most of the hike was through trees. The trails were wide and well used. While we hiked we had to be careful of tree roots in the trail because you can trip over them. The trails were listed as moderate but they were easy to hike. We crossed over Birch Creek now and then via wooden bridges. We hiked by the family fishing pond, it's Monday so no one was there. There were benches around the pond for the people to sit on while fishing. There aren't a lot of benches along the trails so if you see one take advantage of it. We walked by a couple of campgrounds. We saw one white-tail deer, a big cottontail rabbit and cardinals . We didn't get a pictures of them because they were too fast. On the way back to the campground we saw three families hiking the trails. We had a very pleasant hike.

 

Family fishing pond

 

Bridge over Birch Creek

 

Hiking trail

 


Trail sign

We spent the rest of the day relaxing in the Minnie. I did the Daily Challenges and the Event: Easy Street with 30 games. It took me 1 hour, 9 minutes and 38 seconds to complete, which put me in 12th place in my group of 100. Today was Monday Funday, which means the points on the Daily Challenges and Event were doubled when you solve the games. I also played some Mahjong and Jewel games. While I played games Larry read.

 


   A visitor at our site

About 3:30 I went for another hike by myself. I took the Lake Trail at site 71 to where it turns into the Sunset Trail. Then I did the Sunset Trail and the Sunset Mile Loop. After the loop I got back on to Sunset Trail. I finished off the hike on Wilderness Run, that came out at the main road at the bathroom. I hiked for 40 minutes for 2 miles. Larry and I did the same hike yesterday. It was a very nice.

After dinner Larry and I went on a 20 minute walk around the campground. Then I continued another 30 minutes. When I got home I finished doing my steps, which was 26,000. This put me in first in my group but it's only the first day of the weekly 175,000 steps challenge. Then I started reading a book on my Kindle called Circled Heart written by Karen Hasley.   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth