Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Friday, April 2, 2021

Thursday 4-1 Hiking at Hot Springs - Larry Falls

 

Happy April Fools Day

Happy April Fools Day!! Did you play a joke on anyone? I didn't, it was just another day. In fact it was a gorgeous day with the temperature in the high 50s. We woke up to the temperature of 36, a little nippy and our little heater was struggling to keep up. Once it got to 70 degrees it turned off because we set the control at 70. 

After breakfast we went on a 7.5 mile hike for 3 hours and 45 minutes. We started our hike with a jacket because it was cold but within a mile or two we put them around our waists. We started from the campground on the white trail (Gulpha Gorge) until we got to the red trail (Oertel Trail), we followed it to town and the Grande Promenade. We were headed to some new to us trails but the maps were not clear on where they started. We crossed the main street in town and Larry was able to find a parking lot where the trail started, there were no signs pointing it out he just kind of guessed. There was a sign at the beginning of the trail telling you how it started out in the early 1900's as a carriage trail. At this point you could follow either the yellow trail (Oak) or the green trail (Canyon). We decided to take the yellow because it had 4.2% grade and the green had a 10% grade. We hiked a mile until we intersected the blue trail (West Mountain) for about 1/2 mile. Then we picked up the green trail (Canyon). We hiked it back to the Old Road sign, which was .7 mile. We made a loop hike. We rested now and then and enjoyed the scenery. We saw a lot of trees in bloom (dogwoods). At times there were places to rest and signs about the history of Hot Springs. 

The route we took back to the campground wasn't the same route we took to town. We crossed the street to a parking lot where we found a trail. Once again there was no sign, Larry somehow figured it out. We followed the trail up the hill until it met up with the green trail (Lower Dogwood). We took this trail to the yellow trail (Upper Dogwood) until it met up with the purple trail (Goat Rock). While hiking goat rock we saw some people and said hi to them. People were just starting on their hikes and we're almost finished. We took this trail until it met up with the white trail (Gulpha Gorge), which took us back to the campground. On the way back we met a couple of dogs (poodle and beagle pup) and their masters. 

We were coming down the last incline and were close enough to the campground to see the Minnie when Larry tripped and fell. He hurt his wrist and his chest and was covered in dirt and debris. The trail was sloping downward and he fell forward so maybe that helped a bit. This part of the trail is very rocky so we were quite lucky he didn't get seriously hurt. His chest and rib area are tender but he will be fine. By the time we got back home we were tired but other than Larry falling it was a great hike.

 

A beautiful water fountain in the center of Hot Springs

A view of the Bathhouse Row from the hiking trail

A dogwood in bloom, this one looked gray in the sunlight but is actually white

Steam coming off a hot spring early in the morning

I dropped off my hiking pole and pouch and then went to pay for another three nights. I had to wait a bit because there was a line of people, four people before me and another three behind me. When I got home I made lunch.

We spent the rest of the day relaxing in the Minnie. I did the Daily Challenges and the Event: Two Game Tango Mini of 10 games (5 Spider and 5 Tri Peaks). It took me 1 hour, 25 minutes and 13 seconds to complete, which put me in 11th place in my group. Then I did Sudoku games. 

In the evening Larry and I went for a 20 minute walk around the campground. Then I went on a 50 minute hike for 2.33 miles. I did the same route as last night. During the hike I said hi to other hikers. I met a lady and her Great Dane. As I crossed the creek to start my hike I saw a chocolate lab go for a swim, it was having a great time, it stayed where the creek was deep so the water would go over its head. When I got back I finished doing my steps, which didn't take too long. I ended up doing 27,000 steps, which put me in 6th place in my group.   

                

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth