Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Friday, April 1, 2022

Thursday 3-31 Alma & Springhill Park

 

 

We started the day out with sunshine and no wind. By the time we left the wind came up and the temperature started to drop. It got cold. Supposed to get down to freezing tonight.

I made mini waffles for breakfast. We're moving on to another campground but it was only 30 miles away. We got the Minnie ready to go but we didn't leave until 9:30.

The route we took went through the small town of Ozark. Larry filled the Minnie with gas, the prices are up and it cost just under $100. We also stopped at the local Walmart, it was very small so we could only buy a couple of items we were getting low on. We continued on to the Ozark-St. Francis National Forest to Shores Lake campground. It was a first come first serve no reservation campground. The road to the campground was very narrow and through the mountains, it was very pretty with beautiful pines. When we got there there were just two people camping. Some of the sites had power. We parked the Minnie in one of the sites but the power did not work. Larry checked a number of sites and only one had working power. There was no cell coverage and the bathrooms were locked up. It appeared the campground was not yet ready for use. We decided to have lunch and move on.

The next destination was a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers park called Springhill. It was 31 miles away. On our way we stopped at a larger Walmart where we finished our shopping and Larry got on the computer to see if the site he had already reserved for the weekend was also available for tonight, it was so he booked it.

Larry had read that Alma had a Popeye statue. We found the statue in a beautiful park with a nice mural of the city dated from 1871 to 2009. Popeye actually was a fountain. Back in April of 2017 we visited Chester, Illinois, where they had a Popeye museum. They had a map that showed where to locate 12 different Popeye Characters around the city. We had a great time finding all twelve characters.  

    

Downtown Mural of Alma

 

Popeye in Alma


Popeye in Chester

After visiting Alma we went to Springhill park. When we arrived there was no one at the guard house so we went to where our site was. It was occupied but we were early so we drove to the playground and parked the Minnie and waited. We weren't there five minutes when the park host came by asked us if he could help us. He said that they have been trying to get in touch with the person in the site all day but couldn't reach him. He told us we could use the volunteer full hookup site for the night. We said no problem. We parked the Minnie and relaxed.

I did my computer games. I did the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong before I went to bed last night. I started the event before we left in the morning and finished them this afternoon. The event was: Two Game Tango Mini of 10 games (5 Klondike and 5 Spider). It took me 1 hour, 15 minutes and 35 seconds, which put me in 22nd place in my group.

For dinner I heated up leftovers. After dinner we bundled up and went for a walk around the camping area. Larry walked with me around our camping loop. I continued walking another hour and 15 minutes. I walked around the loop a few times and I walked down to the day area and boat ramp. The boat ramp is very steep. The views of the Arkansas River aren't too pretty. I walked by the trailhead of the hike & bike trail in the park. By the end of the night I did 25,645 steps, which put me in 4th place in my group.

Camping at Springhill

 

Boat ramp

 

The bridge we took crossing the Arkansas River

 

Bike wash at the trailhead


  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth