Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Thursday, April 7, 2022

Wednesday 4-6 Daisy Airgun Museum & Rogers Historic Museum

 

Awesome Day

When I went to bed last night at 12:30 a rain storm came through. It rained hard and steady for an hour or so. In the morning it was gone. We had a beautiful day with wind and sunshine. 

We were going to stay another night at Lake Fort Smith State Park but with last nights rain the hiking trails were going to be muddy so we decided to move on. Larry knew where we were going next, there were three different Corp of Engineer campgrounds in the area, he made reservations for Prairie Creek Campground on Beaver Lake. 

We got the Minnie ready to go. Prairie Creek Campground was only about 70 miles away. Larry thought I would like to stop and see some sites on the way. First was Fayetteville's Historic Downtown. He didn't know that it was right next to the University of Arkansas campus, the streets were narrow some were very steep and scary. It was very busy and we could not find anywhere to park the Minnie. We finally gave up, on the way to our next stop we found a shopping center with a large parking lot to stop in and have lunch. While Larry was programming our next adventure into the GPS I went to Eisenstein Brothers Bagels and bought a half dozen bagels. It has been a long time since we had their bagels. I made both of us a sandwich using a bagel for the bread.

As we were going through Fayetteville headed to Rogers Larry pointed out there were turkeys going down the road in the back of a big truck. When we got to Rogers we parked the Minnie on the street by the Daisy Airgun Museum. We had been here in 2013 and decided to revisit it. It was very interesting to read about the history of the Daisy Airgun Company. There were 29 displays and you had a couple of ways to do the tour. They was a hand written book, a hand held recording device, or you could scan codes in via your cell phone. We used the book. It took about an hour to go through. Due to some recent donations of items they had added a few new displays. The tour only cost $2.00 each and we received a token celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Daisy Museum. Outside the museum there was the biggest Daisy Airgun. It was a very nice museum. 

Turkeys going down the road

Token celebrating the museum 50th anniversary

Standing by the largest airgun

50,000,000 Air Rifle

 

Some of the 1900s, 1910s & 1920s rifles on display

 

Entrance to the Daisy Airgun Museum

Next was Rogers Historic Museum, it was just down the street from the Daisy Museum. It was free to tour. It was about the history of Rogers and had very nice displays. They had a special exhibit on aprons. It was cool to see the different aprons. I don't wear one when I cook and I should because they would prevent me for staining some of my clothes. Then we went back to the Minnie.

Local shops

 

A 1930 friendship quilt on display

 

An old tractor and corn sheller

 

Some of the aprons on display

Our final destination for the day was Prairie Creek Campground, it is located on Beaver Lake and only about 6 miles from Rogers. We drove around the campground and found our site. It wasn't level so Larry had to get the blocks out. Once we were level we set up the Minnie for a few nights. There's no hiking trails but the campground is big. 

An hour before dinner we went on an hour walk. Larry walked with me for a half hour. We walked to the day area and group pavilion. The road around the campground will give you a workout because it goes down to the lake and then you have to walk up a steep hill. They have a big boat ramp, which is six lanes wide and have a couple of nice docks for loading and unloading people. The parking area is big. They have a gorgeous building, that is as weigh station for fishing tournaments. The day area is right by the lake. It has a beach, a swimming area and a life jacket loaning area. There are covered picnic tables and grill for each table. There is a beach volleyball court. It's very beautiful. 

Camping at Prairie Creek

 

The marinia

 

Boat ramp

 

The weigh station for fishing tournaments

 

Boating on Beaver Lake

After dinner I went on an hour walk. I walked around the campground and to the entrance gate. Then I finished my steps at the site by stepping in place. I ended up doing 27,500 steps, which put me in 6th place in my group. When I finished my steps I played my computer games. I did the Daily Challenges of Solitaire and Mahjong. Then I did the Event: Hard Road Adventure of 16 games. It took me 1 hour, 31 minutes and 49 seconds, which put me in 3rd place in my group when I went to bed

We had a super day.       

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth