Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Tuesday 2-2 Nine Mile Hike and More

 

 
I made it

What a gorgeous sunny day with the temperature in the low 60s. 

We started the day out by going on a 9 mile hike for 4.5 hours. We hiked the Bairnes Creek Trail, which was 2.5 miles one way. In order to hike the trail we had to walk 2 miles to get there, to do this we used a combination of trails and roads. In a meadow we saw a beautiful buck, he was very skittish and ran off but a doe just stood there and watched us, she followed us a little ways. We left the park and walked along the highway for a half mile. We took an old bridge to crossover the Navasota River. The Bairnes Creek Trail begins at a parking area next to the dam where we saw a crane fishing. The trail was wide and very well maintained, it went through trees and over a creek. There was a huge wooden bridge that took you over Bairnes Creek. You had to watch where you were going because there were roots and rocks in the trail. Every .25 of a mile there was a mile marker, this was great because you knew how far you have gone. Along the trail there were places where if there was a lot of rain there would be big beautiful waterfalls. We stopped a couple of times to take in the beauty. At the 1.5 mile sign there was an overlook with another bench that Jacob Sosebee made in 2018, you had a beautiful view of Fort Parker Lake. We were going to turn around here but decided to continue to the end of the trail. Onward we went, we were pleasantly surprised that there was a marker saying end. We would have loved finding another bench to rest on before taking the 2.5 miles back to the beginning. After taking pictures we headed back. We did rest a couple of times on the way back to the Minnie. We started the hike with jackets but halfway into the hike we took them off. We had a super hike.

 

Larry getting ready to cross Bairnes Creek


A view from Bairnes Creek Overlook

A crane fishing on Fort Parker Lake Dam

By the time we got back to the Minnie it was 1:00. We rested a bit and then I made soup for lunch. We spent the rest of the day relaxing. I did the Daily Challenges and the Event: Tri Peaks Mini of 10 games. It took me 16 minutes and 38 seconds, which put me in second place in my group.

In the evening I walked another half hour. I took the same route as I have been doing except I only did Bur Oak Nature Trail once. I saw a brown round critter run across the nature trail. I don't know what it was but it was like a hedge hog. I had a great walk. By the end of the day I did 28,000 steps which put me in fifth place in my group. Larry and I spent the rest of the evening reading. I played a few of the Microsoft Jewel games. What a great day we had. 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth