Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Monday, April 17, 2017

Saturday 4-15 Pikes Peak State Park

 

reading1

Relaxing with a book

The weather reports had indicated we were going to have rain for the next two evenings so we decided to find a state park where we could plug in and have electricity. We found the beautiful Pikes Peak State Park in Iowa. It is in a forest of trees has and over 12 miles of hiking trails. There is an observation point where you can see the  Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers converge.

 

Pikes Peak State Park-004

Visiting Pikes Peak State Park

 

The first night we got 1.5 inches of rain. We couldn’t take Flo for her last walk until the rain slowed down which was close to 11:00 pm. Larry had to join us so he could hold the umbrella. Before the rain came we walked around the campground and checked out the observation point. Larry was able to barbeque hamburgers for lunch. We were also lucky in that the park had just turned the water on for the season so we were able to take showers. Flo had a chance to lay outside and enjoy the campsite.

 

Pikes Peak State Park-002Pikes Peak State Park-006

Camping at Pikes Peak State Park                                        View from the observation point

 

Today Larry and I only hiked about a mile, we were worried about how muddy the trails were going to be and were surprised to find a wooden walkway going to Bridal Veil Falls. The falls were small but a gentleman who showed up said they are normally only a trickle, he was surprised to see so much water flowing. I guess the 1.5 inches of rain helped. We had a very nice hike. When we got back we read until it was time for lunch. Larry barbecued hamburgers.

 

Pikes Peak State Park-008Pikes Peak State Park-009

Bridal Veil Falls                                                                                    Wooden walkway we hiked on

 

Pikes Peak State Park-010

The rain gauge measuring 1.5 inches of ran

 

In the afternoon I took Flo for a walk and she met our neighbors dog. After saying hi we went back to our site and relaxed. Flo and I spent over an hour outside. I read while she watched people and their dogs playing. When we went inside I finished reading a book. Larry started another book today and finished it. I walked six laps around the campground to get some of my steps in.

After dinner I walked two more laps around the campground to finish up my steps. Today I did over 12,000 steps. While I was walking around a lady asked me if I was getting my steps in I told her I sure was. When I was finishing up the last lap I saw her walking with a gentleman. I teased her about picking up a companion. The rain came back around 8:00 pm. Tonight it didn’t rain as hard. We had two wonderful nights at Pikes Peak State Park.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth