Pictures From Jan-Jul 2023 - It's All About Having Fun!!

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Tuesday 8-29 Fishing For Your Supper

Having Fun

Wow, what a super day at Fun Valley!!! Today was the day the square dancers fish for their supper. Fun Valley has fishing ponds through out the resort, they own the ponds and if you want to fish you need a Fun Valley permit. The south fork of the Rio Grande River runs through the resort and if you want to fish in the river you need a Colorado fishing license. This morning the square dancers got to fish for free and any fish that were caught were prepared and served for dinner. The square dancing coordinators asked if you have a fishing pole bring it to the fishing pond that is designated for this event but if you don't have a pole there were some available. The resort also provided the bait to fish with. The event was at 9:00 and last until they catch enough fish, the goal was 30 fish this morning. Larry and I walked over to the pond this morning so I could participate in the fishing. I fished with a lot of other dancers for an hour and I caught three fish but one jumped back into the pond. So I only got credit for two. When I caught the first one I was very excited by the time Larry came over to take a picture the fish had already came off the hook. It took me a little bit to catch the fish considering it was wriggling all over the place. Once I got a hold of it I had to hold on tight or it would wriggle out of my hands. The bucket to put the fish in was a little ways from where I was so it was a little challenging to get to it before the fish wriggled out of my hands. The second fish I caught I reeled it in and I was too close to the pond so as soon as it was off the hook it wriggled right back into the pond. I had an outstanding morning fishing.


Fishing for my supper

More dancers fishing for their supper
Look at the fish I caught

After fishing there was a square dance workshop and then it was time to walk over to the dining hall for lunch.

Every year on Tuesdays at 1:15 Brad meets up with a group of square dancers and they follow him to the old mining town of Creede to dance in the firehouse. We don't have a tow vehicle so Larry asked our neighbors Rick and Connie if we could ride with them. They said no problem. The firehouse is built in the mountain. When the city of Creede wanted a firehouse they decided to build in the mountain considering they were a mining town. The mine helped build it and they still use it today. It is run by a two shifts of all volunteer firemen. They designed the space so the vehicles can move in and out of the mountain easily. They can move the vehicle they need without having to move another vehicle out of the way. It's a very cool cave and Brad called a singing call. There were three squares and a couple of extra people. After dancing the square dancers went to town to take the ladies shopping. It's a very quaint town with shops and grills down one street. We had a fun time with friends.


Creede Fire House

Driving an old fire engine

Hanging out in Creede

In the evening there were seven squares and a few extra dancers. After the dance there was an after party. Tonight cake was served to celebrate a dancer's birthday and there were saltine crackers, tuna and cheese spread for a snack. There was a skit done by a couple (Dale and Gail) from Fun Valley. The staff also did a skit. We had a very fun night.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear friendly comments on anything at all. Ruth